Pages

26 July 2010

More green issues ...



Baking has never come completely naturally to me, not like my mother or grandmother who both seem to bake so effortlessly, no, it has always been a bit of a recipe following exercise as far as I am concerned. Bread I’m OK with, I’ve practised enough to have developed a ‘feel’ for it and I like the scientific element to the whole process. So I was somewhat surprised in myself as to why I was drawn to these little pancakes when I was looking for something new to try.

It started with a beautiful bunch of organic Spinach that had arrived on my doorstep courtesy of my weekly Riverford veg box. I was browsing through the cook books to find something interesting and new to do with this wonderful bag of bright green leaves, when I stumbled upon this recipe in my new Ottolenghi book Plenty. For some reason this recipe just jumped off the page, not too fussy and plenty of room for a more rustic method, and so, as if by fate, green spinach pancakes it was!

I was considering augmenting these delightful pancakes with some chopped up bacon or pancetta but in the end I left well alone and followed the recipe. These would make a great brunch or breakfast dish, served with a tomato relish maybe, or just eat them straight from the frying pan as I did, fold them in half and munch like a sandwich, absolutely delicious!

Green Spinach pancakes
(from Ottolenghi Plenty)



Serves: 2

  • 300g spinach
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 4 spring onions chopped
  • 1 green chilli chopped
  • 150ml milk
  • 110 self raising flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 50g butter, melted
  • Sea salt
  • 1 egg white
  • Olive oil

Wash and dry the spinach then wilt in a dry pan over a medium heat. When soft place the spinach in a roll of kitchen paper and squeeze out as much water as possible. Lay the spinach out on fresh paper for a while then roughly chop and set to one side.


Place the flour, baking powder, whole egg, salt, cumin, in a bowl and whisk until a smooth. Add the chopped chilli and spring onions and stir into the pancake mix. Now stir in the spinach and season well, then, whisk the egg white to stiff peaks and fold this into the pancake batter.

In a hot non-stick frying pan drizzle some olive oil and add two tablespoons of the pancake mixture into the fat. Pat down a little so the pancakes don't get too thick and cook more evenly. Fry for two minutes on each side until golden and cooked through. This recipe makes about 6 pancakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment